New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I don't want to be a worker any more I want to be a professional

Ask HN: I don't want to be a worker any more I want to be a professional
19 by artsyca | 10 comments on Hacker News.
I've been in the industry for a long while now long enough to be past the stage of proving myself and looking more towards creating something of lasting value for the world and society and even my own legacy Everyone around me from management to the HR apparatus and even my peers seem geared towards me remaining a non client facing worker bot content with my perks and not harboring any ambitions beyond 'solving challenging problems' as a means to elicit that dopamine rush towards the collective ego Growing up I chose computer science because it wasn't supposed to feel like work it was supposed to be a calling a duty but now the whole system is geared towards blind compliance and disengagement My good people how can I break the endless cycle of mindless mechanical labour that has become the software business and become the consummate professional I've always wanted to be?

Comments