New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Do you ever contact people who have had a positive impact on you?

Ask HN: Do you ever contact people who have had a positive impact on you?
3 by lethologica | 0 comments on Hacker News.
In the last year or so I've tried to an effort to email people who have had some sort of positive impact on me. I specifically choose email because to me it feels more personal than a tweet or some other equivalent. I've emailed quite a few people and have been very surprised at the 100% reply rate I've received and in some instances, the conversations that have developed from them. The emails usually very short personalised messages along the lines of "Hi X, thank you very much for Y. It had a positive impact on me because of Z. All the best" Some of the people include small to medium sized musicians, authors, developers, and teachers. I kind of feel like a bit of a weirdo doing it because I don't really hear of many people who do the same. But sometimes I just genuinely want to thank a person for what they've contributed.

Comments