New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How do I choose the right resource to learn CS fundamentals?

Ask HN: How do I choose the right resource to learn CS fundamentals?
13 by 8589934591 | 1 comments on Hacker News.
I am trying to learn CS on my own. But there are so many resources available online for every course from many of the top universities. For example: For intro courses: * Computer science an interdisciplinary approach (princeton) * CS61A - UCB * Introduction to CS and programming (MIT) * Stanford * CMU Data Structures and Algorithms: * Princeton Algorithms * CS61B - UCB * Stanford Algorithms course * MIT Algorithms * CMU Apart from this you have multiple books on each topic - Data Structures/Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Theory of Computation, Operating systems, Networks, and so on. Apart from these you also have resources like teachyourselfcs, ossu, functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/. I am attracted by the resources/online/books posted by courses in UCB/Princeton/MIT/Stanford/CMU. At the same time I get boggled down and overwhelmed that I have soooooooooo many materials to cover. Intro courses aren't that big of a deal since I am able to recognize/solve most questions fairly easily in multiple resources. But my next step of Data structures and algorithms is overwhelming that I am unable to start somewhere. How do you recommend to choose the right resource (online/book) for each topic/course? Is it worth going through multiple university courses/books for the same topic?

Comments