New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Hackable external wireless SSD storage?

Ask HN: Hackable external wireless SSD storage?
2 by kencausey | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I've been looking at the Western Digital My Passport SSD Wireless devices with the idea of setting this up for a client for local server backup. I already have the client setup for backup to remote storage (rsync.net) but for redundancy and speedier access in the case of an emergency I would like them to have access to a local backup. However, through prior experience, I've learned that if any effort is required then eventually good practice stops. So my thought is to have a small box that the user takes home (to avoid loss due to fire or other catastrophe at the office) and then at least once a week brings in to the office for the day and then takes home again. The 'box' would automatically connect to the local wireless network and would be able to use something like rsync and would have access to the server necessary to make a full backup hopefully before the user leaves for the day. I'm thinking SSD is a better choice than a spinning disk for reliability while being carried around regularly. A little research on the Western Digital wireless storage devices suggests linux is running underneath and that it is possible to enable SSH, login as root, and start hacking. I guess my question is has anyone here actually done that and can you provide any additional details? As far as I can tell this is not something that is officially supported by Western Digital. Alternatively is anyone aware of a similar device (mostly closed box, rechargable internal battery, wireless accessible) that either has internal SSD storage or into which an SD card can be installed that also has a *nix filesystem underneath? Access to a solid ZFS implementation would be a plus.

Comments